Thursday, June 26, 2014

Korea vs Belgium Preview

Not sure what I can do here as I have no idea what teams each country will throw out.  Belgium is already through to the next round and have stated already that Kompany and Vermaelen are out of this afternoon's match.  It wouldn't surprise me if Hazard were rested as well, though he may get a start and get subbed out early.  Perhaps we will see Januzaj get his first World Cup experience. Lukaku or Origi?

As for Korea, we could see Hong Myung Bo stick with the 4-2-3-1 that has been his go-to formation or switch to 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-2.  Would Hong want to totally shuffle the deck and hope to get a big a change as Algeria did?  Or will he not want to set months of preparation on fire after one bad match?

Kim Shin Wook did well but can he help out in other ways besides just being a target for long balls?  Kwak Tae Hwi would provide a much better aerial dimension in back but could he possibly keep up with the speedy Belgian attackers?

To those following the past several posts, you would know that I'd like to see Ji Dong Won enter the starting group so that we can have an accurate passer to provide the fluidity that's totally lacking in the Korean attack.  And I'd like to see Koo Ja Cheol move back to replace Han Kook Young or just get out of the side altogether.  And Jung Sung Ryung should never stand in goal again for Korea.

I personally don't think Hong is ready to change that much in what is only one real day of practice.  If I were to hazard a guess, I may think Kim Shin Wook would come in for Park Chu Young, and see Koo and Son each move one position over with Ji Dong Won taking over the left.

So instead of a full-on prediction based on really no evidence, I'd offer instead how I'd lineup the squad tonight:


4-1-4-1 would provide some change and have the committed DM which I think would be important without blowing up the system into unpracticed formations such as odd numbered back lines.  I've left Koo in there because I don't think he'd be any worse than Han Kook Young, but I could see an argument for putting in Park Joo Ho who's played there a bit for Mainz or maybe moving Hong Jeong Ho up and filling one CH with Kim Young Gwon or Hwang Seok Ho.

So even with this lineup, I'm prepared to be disappointed tonight.  I hope to see the kind of effort we saw in the second half vs Algeria.  I'm more looking for bright moments rather than total transformation given the quality of opponent and short preparation.  So I've got my eyes for individual moments of brilliance such as Son causing danger, or Ji  showing his latent capabilities or Ki pushing ahead into a more attacking role.

And Korea isn't out of it yet.  A win by 2 goals with a Russian one goal win or a 3 goal win vs tie or loss by Russia would mean advancement.  That said, its hard to think that Korea could win by such a margin unless Belgium really takes their foot off the pedal, possibly to avoid Germany in the next round.

That said, I expect a 2-1 loss tomorrow.  While changes normally means worse players coming in, Belgium  has enough talent on the bench, and most importantly, the players coming in will have fresh legs and an eagerness to impress their manger.

After the recap, I'll run an autopsy on the squad and see what the KNT should be focusing on ahead of the Asian Cup and WC 18.  Needless to say there have to be some deep thinking on the solutions...